Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Questions from Monday's class on inter-gender communication

I remain intrigued by the question we discussed during class on Monday: whether communication between man and woman can be considered as intercultural communication. I don’t think there was a definitive conclusion.
Personally I ‘like’ how girls always like to ask questions to which (guys feel) there can be no correct answer, for example: “Am I fat?”
Girls, what I want to know is: Can there be a correct answer?

The next issue concerns sexuality. If a guy likes a girl who behaves exactly like a guy, does that make the person homosexual? What is it that you think determines one’s gender and sexuality, the cognitive distinctions or the physical markers? Let’s discuss!

4 comments:

Gwen said...

Hey! I agree this is an interesting topic to debate about, whether communication between man and woman can be intercultural. I guess we have to look back at how we define communication to be intercultural. There is a lot of area, elements of culture, characteristic of culture, function of culture etc. This make the whole topic very complicated. However, within the same cultures I believe the practices and customs for men and women are very different. In a way, I feel communication between different genders can be considered intercultural.

I think you are stereotyping girls in general. NOT all girls like to hear white lies. Some girls would prefer you to be more direct. I feel that there is always a majority and minority existing, maybe you have seen too many girls of the type you described.

Gwen

Brad Blackstone said...

This is interesting! I hope you receive a few more willing to discuss it.

Benjamin Ng said...

Hi Gwen,

Nice of you to get this discussion kickstarted! Thanks for pointing out that I'd formed a stereotype of girls based on those I've met.

Are there however, basic rules and norms that should be followed when men and women interact, apart from respect. As more women champion gender equality, should they then also be treated the same way men are? What do you think?

Gwen said...

Hey, this is the irony part.

I believe all human have self-interest. Women want to be treated equally in workplace, school etc. However, I feel that most women still want to enjoy certain benefits. For example, we women do not need to undergo army, exempted from caning etc.

This is why equality between genders is hard to achieve.